This session is for parents or carers who want time and a safe space to discuss current challenges in their parenting. We will be using Listening Time and discussion/question time based on the Hand in Hand Parenting tools. You need to have attended an Introduction to Hand in Hand talk, or to have done the Starter Class if you wish to attend these sessions. If you have attended the Introduction talk but not the Starter Class, we also strongly recommend that you have a read of the following articles before attending your session:
- http://www.handinhandparenting.org/article/overview/ - a broad, brief view of what the approach offers
- https://kateorson.com/2016/03/25/an-introduction-to-hand-in-hand-parenting/ and http://www.handinhandparenting.org/2016/08/five-tools-that-can-transform-your-parenting/ - useful summaries of the five Hand in Hand Listening Tools
- http://www.handinhandparenting.org/2016/03/10-tips-good-listener/ - essential information for understanding Listening Time
You might also like to find out a few more details about each of the 5 tools, so you know what we're talking about when we use the terms:
- http://www.handinhandparenting.org/2016/08/listen-launch-post-what-is-a-listening-partnership/ - Listening Partnerships
This group is for you if you are:
- Struggling to find time to step back and think about challenging areas of parenting
- Wanting to share thoughts, questions and ideas with other parents to move towards solutions for your own parenting issues
- Feeling isolated, and wanting to engage with support from and for other parents
- Have a specific issue which you want some support in working through
- Only have limited time, or one-off chunks of time, at the moment!
Locality: Wokingham, Berkshire, UK
Cost: £10 per session. Please also bring some spare change for the tea kitty if you are able to.
Dates: the Discussion Group sessions run approximately monthly - upcoming dates are listed on the Events page, and sessions run from 8-9.30pm. We are currently only taking bookings for the earliest upcoming session at any given time, but please do contact us if you would like to attend a future session, and be put on the list for first refusal of your chosen date.
"The tools are practical ways to help ourselves, as well as our children, deal with the day-to-day challenges of life. This approach to parenting has improved our family life to a significant effect."
"Learning tools to aid connection with my children has been invaluable. Staylistening has enabled me to embrace big emotions and I'm no longer anxious about avoiding tantrums etc. Playlistening has reduced frustrations around everyday routines and generally made life more fun."
"Finally parenting advice that comes with tools that sit right with my ethos of raising children - and they work!"
"What will I get from doing this session?"
You will have the chance to work through issues that are specific to you in your parenting, without judgement, and with warm support. You will be able to ask questions, discuss concerns, and gain ideas to apply the Hand in Hand Listening Tools to your own situation.
"I'm struggling to afford anything extra just at the moment - what can I do?"
It's hard to juggle finances when there are so many areas where we need to spend, so I try to keep costs of the courses and talks I offer at a reasonable price. If you can't afford the full cost, please do contact me if you'd like to discuss this, and I will do my best to work something out. Of course, there are also tons of free resources on the Hand in Hand Parenting website: things like teleseminars (sign up to tune into an up-coming one, or there are pre-recorded ones too - just search for 'teleseminars' on the website, and you'll see a list of topics), video resources (search for 'videos' on the site), and stacks of useful articles and anecdotes. You are also extremely welcome to join the Journeys in Parenting Facebook group, where you can ask any questions you have, and will receive plenty of understanding and warm support.
"What sorts of problems might the Hand in Hand approach help me with?"
Parenting is very challenging and isolating work, often showing us lots of areas where we would like to make a change. Hand in Hand Parenting will help you to make those changes wherever you feel they are needed. The first things that come to mind are those everyday challenges, like brushing teeth, getting out of the door, bath times, tidying up, sleep, picky eating, and so on and so on! And then there are the more general behaviours, like defiance, aggression, sibling rivalry, shouting, name calling, withdrawing, whining, and many many more. But Hand in Hand also helps us with getting out of guilt mode, and feeling like a good parent again, along with supporting our development in many other areas of our lives, such as reducing isolation, improving communication, reducing stress, developing supportive relationships… It really is a life changer! If you're unsure if the Hand in Hand approach will help with your specific issues, I'd be more than happy to talk things over if you'd like to get in touch.
"Is the Hand in Hand Parenting approach right for me?"
Since becoming a parent, I have looked into and taken bits from many wonderful parenting approaches. What I love about Hand in Hand is that it: is very non-judgemental; meets people where they're at right now; assumes that everyone is doing the very best they can; really gets to the root cause of issues; gives practical tools; and supports parents themselves. The Hand in Hand Parenting approach benefits anyone, no matter where they are coming from, to find a more fulfilling, relaxed, and connected way of parenting. Feel free to have a read of some of these articles, or search the Hand in Hand website for a particular topic, and see what you think:
- Hand in Hand Parenting Overview - gives a great feel for what the approach is all about
- How Listening Transforms Family Life: An Introduction to Hand in Hand Parenting - a very useful overview of the Hand in Hand Parenting approach, including an brief outline of the approach's Listening Tools
- Hand in Hand Parenting, Working to Transform Parenting - briefly describes Hand in Hand's vision of their support for parents
- Want to Meet One of My Heroines? - and a wonderful testimonial to Patty Wipfler, founder of Hand in Hand Parenting, from Dr Laura Markham of Aha! Parenting
"Can I bring my baby to the talk?"
Yes, if you have a babe-in-arms, you are welcome to bring them along. You might find it more difficult to fully focus on the discussions if you have your baby with you, but if you feel ok with that, then you would be most welcome. If they are crying etc and disturbing the class, we might ask you to step away for a short while, but this doesn't usually cause any issues.
"What happens after a Discussion Group session?"
After our various events, there are many avenues open to you if you wish to develop your Hand in Hand skills further. I offer other short courses, and one-off talks and workshops, or if there's a particular area you want to delve into more deeply, I can provide one-on-one consultations. You are also more than welcome to join our extremely supportive and friendly Facebook group at any time (you don't need to have done any classes to join us), or to follow the Journeys in Parenting Facebook page. You might also wish to browse the Hand in Hand Parenting website, where you can search for information on specific issues, and find heaps of free resources (articles, other parents' stories, teleseminars, video series…), as well as further short courses and booklets for a small fee.